Annapurna Idol to be brought back from Canada
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Culture & GS-II – International Relations
- An ancient idol of the goddess Annapurna, stolen from India about a century ago, is being brought back from Canada.
- Annapurna is the goddess of food.
- The 18th-century idol, carved in the Benares style, is part of the University of Regina, Canada’s collection at the MacKenzie Art Gallery.
Do you know?
- A few weeks ago, 13th-century old bronze idols of Lord Rama, Lakshmana and goddess Sita were handed to the Tamil Nadu government from the UK recently,.
- Between 2014 and 2020, the government has been able to retrieve 40 antiquities from various countries.
- Between 1976 and 2014, as per ASI records, 13 antique pieces had been repatriated to India.