Zebrafish being used as a research model to promote heart regeneration
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Environment; Biodiversity
- Recently, Scientists at Pune-based Agharkar Research Institute have used the Zebrafish as a research model and identified genes that can promote heart regeneration.
Important value addition
- Zebrafish is a tiny freshwater fish barely 2-3 cm long.
- It can efficiently regenerate its damaged heart within a short time period.
- Zebrafish is found in the tropical and subtropical regions.
- The fish is native to South Asia’s Indo-Gangetic plains, where they are mostly found in the paddy fields and even in stagnant water and streams.
- It is a popular aquarium fish, frequently sold under the trade name Danio.
- The zebrafish is an important and widely used vertebrate model organism in scientific research, for example in drug development, in particular pre-clinical development.
- It is also notable for its regenerative abilities and has been modified by researchers to produce many transgenic strains.