TWG meeting held between India, Iran, and Uzbekistan on Chabahar port
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- The first Trilateral Working Group (TWG) Meeting between India, Iran and Uzbekistan on the joint use of Chabahar Port was held.
- The Meeting was jointly chaired by Secretary (Shipping), Government of India, Deputy Minister of Transport, Uzbekistan and Deputy Transport Minister of Iran.
- During the meeting, the participants discussed joint use of Chabahar Port for trade and transit purposes and enhanced regional connectivity.
- All sides also welcomed India’s proposal to hold “Chabahar Day” on the side-lines of the International Maritime Summit scheduled to be hosted by India in January 2021.
- The meeting was held as a follow up of decisions taken during the virtual summit held between Indian Prime Minister and President of Uzbekistan recently.
Do you know?
- Chabahar Port is a seaport in Chabahar located in south-eastern Iran, on the Gulf of Oman.
- It serves as Iran’s only oceanic port, and consists of two separate ports named Shahid Kalantari and Shahid Beheshti.
- Chabahar port and US sanctions: Click here
- India losing Chabahar project: Click here
- Iran dropping India from Chabahar Rail Project: Click here