Framework for Strategic Partnership signed between the International Energy Agency and India
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- II – International Relations
- The Framework for Strategic Partnership between the International Energy Agency (IEA) members and the Government of India was signed.
- Aim: To strengthen mutual trust and cooperation & enhance global energy security, stability, and sustainability.
- This partnership will lead to an extensive exchange of knowledge and would be a stepping stone towards India becoming a full member of the IEA.
Important value additions
- The International Energy Agency (IEA) is a Paris-based autonomous intergovernmental organisation.
- It was established in the framework of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) in 1974 in the wake of the 1973 oil crisis.
- The IEA is made up of 30 member countries.
- Also, the IEA family includes eight association countries which include Brazil, China, and India.
- Three countries are seeking accession to full membership, Chile, Israel, and Lithuania.