8th edition of the India International Silk Fair inaugurated
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- III – Economy
- Union Textiles Minister recently inaugurated the 8th edition of the India International Silk Fair virtually.
- The fair is considered to be India’s biggest silk fair.
- It is the Sourcing Fair for silk and silk blend products.
- Organised by: Indian Silk Export Promotion Council
- Ministry: Ministry of Textiles
- Sponsored by: Department of Commerce
Important value additions
- India is the 2nd largest producer of Silk.
- India is the only country in the world that produces all four major varieties of silk i.e. Mulberry, Eri, Tassar, and Muga.
- Mulberry silk: Mainly in Karnataka
- Non-mulberry Silk: Temperate tussar silk in Maharashtra,WB, Odisha, Jharkhand, Andhra Pradesh; Tropical tussar silk in sub –himalayan belt ( Manipur, Assam, Meghalaya,etc); Muga Silk in Assam and Eri silk in Assam, Odisha, Bihar
- India has around 11 Geographical Indications (GI) such as: Pochampally Ikat, Chanderpaul Silk, Mysore Silk, Kanchipuram Silk, Muga Silk, Salem Silk, Arni Silk, Champa Silk, Bhagalpur Silk, Banaras Brocade and Sarees, etc.
- Types of silk and challenges of India’s silk industry: Click here