Artisan-based SFURTI Clusters inaugurated
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Economy
- 50 artisan-based SFURTI clusters, spread over 18 States were recently inaugurated.
- Ministry: Ministry of MSME
- Artisans shall be supported in the traditional segments of muslin, khadi, coir, handlooms, woodcraft, pottery, carpet weaving, agro-processing, etc.
Important value additions
- Objective of Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries (SFURTI): To organize traditional industries and artisans into clusters to make them competitive and increase their income.
- SFURTI clusters are of two types:
- Regular Cluster (500 artisans) with Government assistance of up to Rs.2.5 crore
- Major Cluster (more than 500 artisans) with Government assistance up to Rs.5 crore
- The artisans are organized into SPVs which can be:
- a Society registered under Societies (Registration) Act, 1860,
- a Co-operative Society under an appropriate statute,
- a Producer Company under Section 465 (1) of Companies Act, 2013 (18 of 2013),
- a Section 8 Company under the Companies Act, 2013 (18 of 2013) or (v) a Trust.