Devasthal Telescope assumes global importance
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Sci & tech
- The optical telescope set up at Devasthal has assumed global importance for observing important cosmic explosive events such as Gamma-Ray Bursts and Supernovae.
Important value additions
- Devasthal is a mountain peak in Uttarakhand.
- It is a world-class 3.6 m optical telescope.
- It is Asia’s largest fully steerable optical telescope.
- Set up by: Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES), an autonomous research institute of DST, with support from the Belgian government in 2016.
- It will also be helpful for future optical facilities such as the Thirty Meter Telescope.