JB Ekka Committee to be formed
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Economy
- A one-man committee under Principal Secretary Dr. JB Ekka will be formed for equal wages of small tea workers of Assam.
- Also, the Assam government has announced the increase in wage of tea garden workers from Rs 167 to Rs 217 per day.
- The tea garden managements pay the wages which is fixed by the government.
- The tea tribe community of Assam also faces exploitation, economic backwardness, poor health conditions and low literacy rates.
- In the Union Budget 2020-21, Rs 1,000 crore was announced for the welfare of tea workers in Assam and West Bengal.