Malware in news: Netwire
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Cyber security
- Activist Rona Wilson has filed a petition in the Bombay HC to seek a stay on proceedings against him.
- He is in prison in connection with the Bhima Koregaon violence case.
- A digital forensics consulting company, Arsenal Consulting, was hired by Mr. Wilson’s defence team.
- Its report states that for 22 months, Mr. Wilson’s computer was controlled by an attacker
- His goal was to deliver incriminating documents onto Wilson’s computer, which formed the basis of the case against him.
Important value additions
- It is a well-known malware.
- It is also one of the most active ones.
- It is a remote access trojan (RAT) which gives control of the infected system to an attacker.
- Such malware can log keystrokes and compromise passwords.
- Malware essentially does two things: (1) Data exfiltration (stealing data); (2) Infiltrating a system