MoU For Composite Raw Materials signed
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- III – Defence and Security
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited (MIDHANI) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the development and production of composite raw materials during Aero India 2021 in Bengaluru
- This is the first time that such an MoU has been signed for composite raw materials.
- Composites raw materials, mainly in the form of prepregs (carbon, aramid, glass types, etc) are used in platforms like Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH), Light Combat Helicopter (LCH), and Light Utility Helicopter (LUH).
- These are currently imported.
- This is the major step forward in the area of composite materials.
- The HAL is not only taking care of frontline aircraft production but also raw materials.
- There is no equivalent proven Indian approved/qualified supplier for various types of prepregs for the aircraft applications.
- This creates a dependency on foreign Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs).
- Aligned with the “Atmanirbhar Bharat” initiative, these efforts shall help in developing and manufacturing such prepregs in India through collaboration.
- The usage of composites in aerospace is going to continue and increase, particularly for fighter aircraft/helicopters because of its inherent advantages over metallic raw materials.
- Aero India – 2021 – Click here