National Action Plan for Migrant Workers
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- II – Policies and Interventions
- NITI Aayog has constituted a sub-group to prepare a National Action Plan for Migrant Workers.
- Composition: Members from various Ministries, subject experts, NGOs, and civil society organisations.
- Objective: To prepare a tangible action plan to address issues related to migrant workers.
Important value additions
- Inter-state Migrant Workmen (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act, 1979 was subsumed in the Occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions Code, 2020 (OSH Code)
- The Code was notified in September 2020
- Provision of OSH Code: Decent working conditions, minimum wages, grievances redressal mechanisms, protection from abuse and exploitation, enhancement of skills, and social security.
- Target: All categories of organised and unorganised workers including Migrant workers.
- Applicability: Every establishment in which 10 or more inter-state migrant workers are employed or were employed on any day of the preceding 12 months.