‘Per Drop More Crop’
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- II – Policies and Interventions
- The Department of Agriculture, Cooperation & Farmers Welfare (DAC&FW) is implementing a Centrally Sponsored Scheme of ‘Per Drop More Crop’ component of ‘Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY-PDMC)’ from 2015-16 in all the States of the country.
- It focuses on enhancing water use efficiency at farm level through Micro Irrigation viz. Drip and Sprinkler irrigation systems.
- Besides promoting Micro Irrigation, this component also supports micro level water storage or water conservation/management activities to supplement source creation for Micro Irrigation.
- Efforts are being made to converge ‘Per Drop More Crop’ Scheme with Atal Bhujal Yojana (ABHY), Namami Gange Districts, Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Surakshaevem Utthan Mahabhiyan (PM-KUSUM), Water Harvesting Structures through Watershed Development component of PMKSY to propagate micro irrigation intensively
- With a view to provide impetus to the Micro Irrigation in the country, the Micro Irrigation Fund (MIF) with a corpus of Rs. 5000 Crore was created with NABARD during 2018-19.
- The Government provides 3% interest subvention on loans extended to State Govt. under MIF.
Important value additions
Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY)
- PMKSY is a centrally sponsored scheme
- Launched in: 2015
- Motto: Har Khet Ko Paani
- Objectives: (1) To expand cultivated areas with assured irrigation, reduce wastage of water and improve water use efficiency; (2) To create protective irrigation by harnessing rainwater at micro level; (3) To enhance recharge of aquifers
- Mobile Application for Geo Tagging launched by Ministry of Jal Shakti: Click here