Process of delimitation in respect of UT of J&K
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Governance; Election; Constitution
- Delimitation Commission held a meeting recently with the Associate Members from UT of J&K.
- Objective: To seek their suggestion on the process of delimitation in respect of the UT.
Important value additions
- Delimitation is the act of redrawing boundaries of Lok Sabha and state Assembly seats.
- Objective of delimitation: To provide equal representation to equal segments of a population; fair division of geographical areas so that one political party doesn’t have an advantage over others in an election.
- Constitutional provisions: Under Article 82, the Parliament enacts a Delimitation Act after every Census.
- Delimitation is carried out by an independent Delimitation Commission.
- Delimitation Commissions have been set up four times — 1952, 1963, 1973 and 2002
- There was no delimitation after the 1981 and 1991 Censuses.