UK to conduct first Human Challenge Trials for COVID-19
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- II Health & GS – III – Biotechnology
- The UK is set to conduct the first COVID-19 human challenge trials (HCT) within a month from now.
- Conducted by: UK government’s Vaccines Taskforce, Imperial College London, the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust and the clinical company called hVIVO.
- The trial was first announced in October 2020.
- In this study, over 90 healthy volunteers between the ages of 18-30 will be deliberately exposed to small amounts of the virus in controlled settings,
- Objective: To test treatments and vaccines.
- In this way, the participants are “challenged” by the virus.
- This is not the same as standard vaccine clinical trials.
- Significance: HCTs are able to give more precise information about the disease and its effects on humans, and also give results about the efficacy of vaccines on infected humans.