Proposal to amend the Juvenile Justice Act, 2015 approved
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- I – Society & GS – II – Policies and Interventions
- The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal to amend the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015 to introduce measures for strengthening Child Protection set-up to ensure best interest of children.
- Ministry: Ministry of Women and Child Development
- The amendments include authorizing District Magistrate (DM) to issue adoption orders under Section 61 of the JJ Act, in order to ensure speedy disposal of cases.
- The DMs have been further empowered to ensure its smooth implementation.
- Eligibility parameters for appointment of CWC members have been defined.
- Previously undefined offences have been categorised as ‘serious offence’.
- Several difficulties faced in implementation of various provisions of the Act have also been addressed.