Production Linked Incentive Scheme For Pharmaceuticals
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- III – Economy; Manufacturing sector
- The Union Cabinet has approved Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme for Pharmaceuticals for Financial Year 2020-21 to 2028-29.
- The Scheme is expected to bring in investment of Rs.15,000 crore in the pharmaceutical sector.
- It will be part of the umbrella scheme for the Development of the Pharmaceutical Industry.
- Objective: (1) To enhance India’s manufacturing capabilities by increasing investment; (2) Product diversification to include high-value goods.
- Target Groups: The manufacturers who are registered in India will be grouped based on their Global Manufacturing Revenue (GMR) to ensure wider applicability of the scheme
- Quantum of Incentive: 15,000 crores.
- Category of Goods covered:
- Category 1: Biopharmaceuticals; Complex generic drugs; Patented drugs or drugs nearing patent expiry; Cell-based or gene therapy drugs; Orphan drugs; Other drugs as approved.
- Category 2: Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients, Key Starting Materials, Drug Intermediates.
- Category 3: Drugs not covered under Category 1 and 2.