Devara Kaadu of Coorg
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – I – Culture
- Sacred grove or devara kaadu of Coorg, Karnataka, was in news recently.
Important value additions
- Devara Kaadu (Sacred Forest) is a small forest like grove marked as the adobe of the local deities.
- Coorg has many hundred such sacred groves scattered all over the region.
- Some of them are sprawling mini forests, while the rest are of smaller scales.
- The groves are left untouched due to their scared nature.
- Inside the Devara Kaadu there are shrines dedicated to various deities.