Information on tap water supply to government schools
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Education; health; Welfare schemes & GS- III – Infrastructure
- Recently, information on tap water supply was provided to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Water Resources.
- Only half of government schools and anganwadis have tap water supply.
- Less than 8% of schools in Uttar Pradesh and 11% in West Bengal have it.
- A campaign related to tap water supply was launched by the Ministry of Jal Shakti in October 2020.
- Objective: To provide potable piped water supply for drinking and cooking purposes and tap water for washing hands and in toilets in every school, anganwadi and ashramshala or residential tribal school
- Duration: 100-day period (till January 10, 2021)
- However, as of February 15, only 48.5% of anganwadis and 53.3% of schools had tap water supply,
- Seven States that achieved 100% coverage: Andhra Pradesh, Goa, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Telangana and Punjab.