Merchant Digitization Summit 2021: Towards AatmaNir bhar Bharat
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Economy; IT
- Merchant Digitization Summit 2021: Towards AatmaNirbhar (Self Reliance) Bharat was recently held.
- Hosts: The Government of India, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), and UN-based Better Than Cash Alliance
- Special focus: Himalayan Regions, North East Regions and Aspirational Districts of India.
Important value additions
Better Than Cash Alliance
- Based at the United Nations.
- It is a partnership of governments, companies and international organizations.
- It accelerates the transition from cash to responsible digital payments.
- It has 75 members.
- The Alliance Secretariat works with members to digitize payments by:
- Providing advisory services based on their priorities.
- Sharing action-oriented research and fostering peer learning on responsible practices.
- Conducting advocacy at national, regional and global level.
- It was created in 2012.
- Launched by: United Nations Capital Development Fund, the United States Agency for International Development, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Citigroup, the Ford Foundation, the Omidyar Network, and Visa Inc.