Fresh OCI card registration not required for renewing passport
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Citizenship
- The Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) will not be required to register for a fresh OCI card every time a new passport is issued in their name.
- At present, the OCI card is required to be reissued each time a new passport is issued up to 20 years of age and once after completing 50 in view of biological changes in the face of the applicant.
- With a view to facilitate the OCI cardholders, it has now been decided to dispense with this requirement.
- A person who has got registration as OCI cardholder prior to attaining the age of 20 years will have to get the OCI card reissued only once when a new passport is issued after his/her completing 20 years of age, so as to capture his/her facial features on attaining adulthood.
- If a person has obtained registration as OCI cardholder after attaining the age of 20 years, there will be no requirement of reissue of the OCI card.
Important value additions
- The OCI Card has proved to be very popular amongst foreigners of Indian Origin and spouses of OCI cardholders, as it helps them in hassle free entry and unlimited stay in India.
- So far about 37.72 lakh OCI Cards have been issued by the Government of India.
- As per the extant law, a foreigner of Indian origin or a foreign spouse of an Indian citizen or foreign spouse of an OCI cardholder, can be registered as an OCI cardholder.
- OCI card is a life-long visa for entry into and stay in India with a number of other major benefits attached to it which are not available to other foreigners.