Global Gender Gap Report 2021
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Society
- Global Gender Gap Report 2021 was released recently.
- Released by: World Economic Forum
- India has fallen 28 places
- It is now one of the worst performers in South Asia,
- It is ranked below neighbouring countries – Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Myanmar.
- India’s rank: 140 among 156 countries.
- South Asia incidentally is one of the worst performing regions, followed only by the Middle East and northern Africa.
- Overall, many countries have fared worse in this year’s rankings compared to last year’s, on account of economic performance.
- On its current trajectory, it will now take 135.6 years to close the gender gap worldwide.
- Women represent only 26.1% of some 35,500 parliament seats and just 22.6% of over 3,400 ministers worldwide
- In 81 countries, there has never been a woman head of state, as of January 15, 2021.