Christchurch Call to Action
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations & GS-III – Terrorism
- USA will join the Christchurch Call to Action to Eliminate Terrorist and Violent Extremist Content Online.
- It is a New Zealand-led global campaign to stamp out violent extremism online.
- The Christchurch Call is named after the New Zealand city in which 51 people from the Muslim community were killed in terrorist attacks broadcast live on the Internet on 15 March 2019.
- The Christchurch Call is an action plan that commits governments, international organizations and Internet players to take a series of measures, in particular:
- developing tools to prevent the downloading of terrorist and violent extremist content;
- combating the causes of violent extremism; improving transparency in the detection and removal of content; and
- ensuring that the algorithms designed and used by businesses do not direct users towards violent extremist content, so as to reduce their viral nature.