India-EU Leaders’ Meeting
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – International Relations
- At the invitation of the President of the European Council, Indian Prime Minister participated in the India-EU Leaders’ Meeting.
- The meeting was held in a hybrid format.
- Leaders of all the 27 EU Member States, President of the European Council and the European Commission participated.
- This is the first time that the EU hosted a meeting with India in the EU+27 format.
- It will further build on the momentum witnessed in the relationship since the 15th India-EU Summit in July 2020.
- During the meeting, the leaders exchanged views on three key thematic areas: i) foreign policy and security; ii) COVID-19, climate and environment; and iii) trade, connectivity and technology.
Do you know?
- India and the EU launched an ambitious and comprehensive ‘Connectivity Partnership’ which is focused on enhancing digital, energy, transport and people-to-people connectivity.
- India welcomed the EU’s decision to join CDRI.
- India and the EU also agreed to enhance bilateral cooperation on digital and emerging technologies such as 5G, AI, Quantum and High-Performance Computing including through the early operationalization of the Joint Task Force on AI and the Digital Investment Forum.
- A finance contract of Euro 150 million for the Pune Metro Rail Project was signed by the Ministry of Finance and European Investment Bank.