India invited as guest to G7 meeting
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – International Relations
- India has been invited to the G7 meeting as a guest country.
Important value additions
The G-7 or ‘Group of Seven’
- Formed in: 1975
- Countries: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, UK, and USA.
- Meetings are presided over by leaders of member countries on a rotational basis.
- It is an informal annual gathering of two days, in which member countries discuss a wide range of global issues.
- It does not have a formal constitution or a fixed headquarters
- The decisions taken during summit are non-binding.
Do you know?
- The G-7 was known as the ‘G-8’ after the original seven were joined by Russia in 1997.
- The Group returned to being called G-7 after Russia was expelled as a member in 2014 following the latter’s annexation of the Crimea region of Ukraine.