Covid-19 infections being reported among the Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health
- Covid-19 infections are being reported among the Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs) of Odisha
- As many as 21 tribals across eight different PVTGs in the State have so far tested positive, including two from the Bonda tribe.
- Bonda people live in the highlands of Malkangiri.
- Members of Dongria Kondh, another PVTG, have tested positive in Rayagada district.
Do you know?
- Odisha has among the largest and most diverse tribal populations in the country.
- Of the 62 tribal groups residing in Odisha, 13 are recognised as PVTGs.
- According to the 2011 Census, Odisha’s share of the country’s total tribal population was 9%.
- Tribals constitute 22.85% of the State’s population.
- PVTGs in the states: Bonda, Birhor, Chuktia Bhunjia, Didayi, Dongaria Kandha, Hill Kharia, Juang, Kutia Kondh, Lanjia Saora, Lodha, Mankirdia, Paudi Bhuyan and Saora.
- These PVTGs have been identified on the basis of stagnant or diminishing populations, subsistence level of economy associated with pre-agricultural stages of hunting, food gathering and shifting cultivation, and relative physical isolation.