Crop in news: Jackfruit
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -III – Economy; Trade; Agriculture
- Jackfruit was in news recently.
- A shipment of fresh jackfruit was exported from Tripura to London.
- It is a major step towards harnessing exports potential of agricultural and processed food products from north-eastern region.
Important value additions
- Jackfruit is a species of tree in the fig, mulberry, and breadfruit family (Moraceae).
- It is a multiple fruit, composed of hundreds to thousands of individual flowers, and the fleshy petals.
- Scientific Name: Artocarpus heterophyllus.
- Major producers in world: India, Thailand, Indonesia and Nepal.
- Major Production States of India: Kerala, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Orissa and Assam.
- Kerala is the largest producer of jackfruit in the world.
- It is the state fruit of Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Do you know?
- Recently, the first consignment of ‘red rice’ was sent to the USA from Assam.
- Iron rich ‘red rice’ is grown in Brahmaputra valley of Assam, without the use of any chemical fertilizer.
- The rice variety is referred to as ‘Bao-dhaan’, which is an integral part of Assamese food.