Exports of Organic Millets Grown in Himalayas to Denmark
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – International Relations & GS-III – Economy
- In a major boost to organic products exports from India, first consignment of millets grown in Himalayas from snow-melt water of Ganges in Dev, Uttarakhand would be exported to Denmark.
- APEDA, in collaboration with Uttarakhand Agriculture Produce Marketing Board (UKAPMB) & Just Organik, an exporter, has sourced & processed ragi (finger millet), and jhingora (barnyard millet) from farmers in Uttarakhand for exports, which meets the organic certification standards of the European Union.
- Millets are gaining a lot of popularity globally because of high nutritive values and being gluten free also.
Do you know?
- Oil cake meal is a major commodity of the organic product exports from the country followed by oil seeds, fruit pulps and purees, cereals & millets, spices, tea, medicinal plant products etc.
- At present, organic products are exported provided they are produced, processed, packed and labelled as per the requirements of the National Programme for Organic Production (NPOP).
- The NPOP has been implemented by APEDA since its inception in 2001 as notified under the Foreign Trade (Development and Regulations) Act, 1992.
- NPOP has also been recognized by the Food Safety Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) for trade of organic products in the domestic market.
- Organic products covered under the bilateral agreement with NPOP need not be recertified for import in India.