Place in news: Taiwan
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – I – Geography & GS-II – International Relations
- India recently received assistance from Taiwan, including oxygen concentrators and cylinders, with more batches of medical equipment set to follow.
Important value additions
- Taiwan is officially known as the Republic of China (ROC).
- It is a state in East Asia with China to its west, Japan to the north-east, and the Philippines to the south.
- The East China Sea lies to its north, the Philippine Sea to its east, the Luzon Strait directly to its south and the South China Sea to its southwest.
- The Taiwan Strait separates the island of Taiwan from mainland China.
- Taipei is the capital.
- Taiwan is no longer a member of the UN, having been replaced by China in 1971.
- Taiwan is claimed by China, which refuses diplomatic relations with countries that recognise the ROC.
- Taiwan maintains official ties with 14 out of 193 UN member states and the Holy See.
- The bilateral relations between India and Taiwan have improved since the 1990s despite both nations not maintaining official diplomatic relations.