India -UK Virtual Summit
Part of: GS Prelims And GS-II – International Relations
- Indian Prime Minister and the UK Prime Minister held a Virtual Summit.
- To elevate bilateral ties to a ‘Comprehensive Strategic Partnership’.
- It will pave the way for a deeper and stronger engagement over the next ten years in the key areas of people to people contacts, trade and economy, defence and security, climate action and health.
‘Enhanced Trade Partnership’ (ETP)
- It sets an ambitious target of more than doubling bilateral trade by 2030.
- As part of the ETP, India and the UK agreed on a roadmap to negotiate a comprehensive and balanced FTA, including consideration of an Interim Trade Agreement for delivering early gains.
India-UK ‘Global Innovation Partnership’
- It aims to support the transfer of inclusive Indian innovations to select developing countries, starting with Africa
A comprehensive partnership on migration and mobility
- It will facilitate greater opportunities for the mobility of students and professionals between the two countries.
Do you know?
- Both sides agreed to enhance cooperation on new and emerging technologies, including Digital and ICT products, and work on supply chain resilience.
- They also agreed to strengthen defence and security ties, including in the maritime, counter-terrorism and cyberspace domains.
- The UK is India’s second largest partner in research and innovation collaborations.