New sites added to India’s tentative list of UNESCO world heritage sites
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Culture
- Six sites have been added to India’s tentative list of UNESCO world heritage sites.
- Sites were submitted by the Archaeological Survey of India.
- Six of the nine sites have been accepted by UNESCO for its tentative list.
- Being added to the tentative list is a requirement before the final nomination of any site.
- The sites are
- Maratha military architecture, Maharashtra
- Hire Bengal megalithic site, Karnataka
- Bhedaghat-Lametaghat of Narmada Valley, Madhya Pradesh.
- Ganga ghats, Varanasi
- Temples of Kancheepuram
- Satpura Tiger Reserve, Madhya Pradesh.
- These proposals will remain in tentative list for a year after which the government will decide which one of them to push for in their final dossier to UNESCO.