Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Health; Sci & Tech
- Rising cases of ‘white fungus’ or ‘candidiasis’ have been detected recently in India.
Important value additions
- This infection can be caused due to low immunity or if people come in contact with things that contain these moulds like water, etc.
- Patients of white fungus show Covid-like symptoms but test negative.
- The infection can be diagnosed through CT-Scan or X-ray.
- It is a fungal infection caused by a type of fungus called Candida.
- White fungus can affect not just the lungs but also other parts of the body including nails, skin, stomach, kidney, brain, private parts and mouth.
- However, it is regarded as just a normal fungal infection.