World Bee Day
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -III – Technology; Animal rearing
- May 20 is observed as World Bee Day annually.
- 2021 theme: “Bee Engaged – Build Back Better for Bees”.
Efforts by the Indian government
- Government is promoting Beekeeping as part of its aim to double farmers’ income.
- The Government has allocated 500 crores towards Beekeeping under the Atma Nirbhar Abhiyan.
- The National Bee Board has created four modules to impart training as part of the National Beekeeping and Honey Mission (NBHM)
- 30 lakh farmers have been trained in beekeeping.
- They are also being financially supported by the Government.
- The Government has launched ‘Honey Mission’ as part of ‘Sweet Revolution’.
Do you know?
- India is among the world’s top five honey producers.
- Compared to 2005-06 honey production has risen by 242% and exports have increased by 265%.
- As per Food and Agricultural Organization database, in 2017-18, India ranked 8th in the world in terms of honey production (64.9 thousand tonnes) while China stood first (551 thousand tonnes).