42nd Session of FAO Conference
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – International Relations
- Recently, the Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare addressed the 42nd session of Food and Agriculture Organization’s (FAO) Conference.
- The Conference takes place every two years.
- India is a founder member of the FAO
Key notes from the address
- The Country Program Framework prepared by FAO India in collaboration with Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Government of India has multi sectoral approach.
- India has been extending technical expertise and assistance in incidences of trans-boundary pests mainly Fall Army Worm and Desert Locust.
- FAO also endorsed the Indian proposal for an International Year of Pulses (2016) and International Year of Millets (2023) .
- India has launched various projects under the National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture to make agriculture resilient to adverse impacts of climate change.
- India is promoting Organic farming at a large scale.
Initiatives during COVID-19 by India
- Indian Agriculture sector registered an all time high production of 305 million tons of food grains during COVID-19.
- KISAN RAIL: Special parcel trains with refrigeration facilities were introduced to transport the essential commodities
- Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package was launched under which free food grains were provided to 810 million beneficiaries and the scheme has been further extended till November.
- PM Kisan Scheme: More than Rupees 1,37,000 Crore have been sent to the bank accounts of over 100 million farmers.