Model Panchayat Citizens Charter
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Panchayati Raj
- A Model Panchayat Citizens Charter was recently released .
- Ministry: Ministry of Panchayati Raj
- Prepared by: Ministry of Panchayati Raj (MoPR) in collaboration with National Institute of Rural Development & Panchayati Raj (NIRDPR)
About the Model Panchayat Citizens Charter
- It is a framework for delivery of the services across the 29 sectors, aligning actions with localised Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- What is its aim?
- To Provide Services to the People in a Time Bound Manner
- Redressing Their Grievances
- Improving Their Lives.
- The Panchayats will utilise this framework to draw up a Citizens Charter and adopt it through a resolution of the Gram Sabha by 15th August, 2021.
- Panchayats are responsible for delivery of basic services as enshrined under article 243G of the Constitution of India, specifically in the areas of Health & Sanitation, Education, Nutrition, Drinking Water.
Important value additions
National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj (NIRD&PR)
- It is an autonomous organisation under the Union Ministry of Rural Development.
- It is a premier national centre of excellence in rural development and Panchayati Raj.
- It builds capacities of rural development functionaries, elected representatives of PRIs, bankers, NGOs and other stakeholders.
- It is recognized internationally as one of the UN-ESCAP Centres of Excellence.
- The Institute is located in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- It also has North-Eastern Regional Centre (NERC) at Guwahati, Assam to meet the NE-regional needs.