Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India (AERA) Amendment Bill
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Policies and interventions and GS-III – Infrastructure
In news: AERA Amendment Bill, 2021, was recently passed in Lok Sabha.
About the Bill
- It seeks to amend the Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India Act, 2008.
- The 2008 Act established the Airport Economic Regulatory Authority (AERA).
- AERA regulates tariffs and other charges (such as airport development fees) for aeronautical services rendered at major airports in India.
- The 2008 Act designates an airport as a major airport if it has an annual passenger traffic of at least 35 lakh. The central government may also designate any airport as a major airport by a notification.
- The amendment Bill adds that the central government may group airports and notify the group as a major airport.
News Source: TH