Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Health
In news: In another two to two-and-a-half months, Bharat Biotech is going to have significant data on its intranasal COVID-19 vaccine whose clinical trials are under way.
- New vaccine being developed by Hyderabad based Bharat Biotech is BBV154 – A novel adenovirus vectored, intranasal vaccine for COVID-19
- Intranasal vaccine is a vaccine administered to a person via the nose and does not require a needle.
Source: Bharat Biotech
What are the benefits of intranasal vaccine?
- It promises to be more effective, since it is expected to generate immune responses at the site of infection (respiratory mucosa)
- Non-invasive, Needle-free.
- Ease of administration – does not require trained health care workers.
- Elimination of needle-associated risks (injuries and infections).
- High compliance (Ideally suits for children’s and adults).
- Scalable manufacturing – able to meet global demand. It can produce 100 million doses a month.
Also Read: Approaches to vaccine making
News Source: TH