Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – International relations; Health and GS-III – Technology
In news: The Indian Prime Minister recently addressed the CoWin Global Conclave where India offered the CoWIN platform as a digital public good to the world to combat COVID19.
What is CoWIN?
- CoWIN (Covid Vaccine Intelligence Work) is the Indian government’s web portal to register for COVID-19 vaccination. It displays slots of COVID-19 vaccine available in the nearby areas and can be booked on the website.
- It is a secure and trustworthy proof helped people establish when, where and by whom they had been vaccinated.
- In totality, CoWIN is a cloud-based IT solution for planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of Covid-19 vaccination in India.
- This allows the system to monitor the utilisation, wastage, coverage of Covid-19 vaccination at national, state, district and sub-district level.
- CoWIN system tracks on a real time basis the vaccination drive in India.
- The portal also provides vaccination certificates in digital format
- CoWIN is essentially an extension of eVIN (Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network).
Do you know?
- CoWIN has become the fastest tech platform in the world to amass over 200 million registrations in a record four months, and then 300 million registrations in a mere five months.
What are highlights of the recent PM address?
- The decision to make CoWIN platform open source and offer it as a digital public good was guided by the approach of ‘One Earth, One Health’.
- It is also a part of CoWIN Global Outreach Programme
- The software is customizable as per the local requirements of the interested countries.
- More than 50 countries including Nigeria, Canada and Mexico have shown interest in CoWIN platform