India to explore Indigenous Deposits of Phosphatic rock
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Economy
- Currently we are dependent on other countries for raw materials to produce DAP (Di-ammonium Phosphate) and (Single superphosphate) SSP primarily.
- India needs to reduce its dependencies on imports.
- In order to achieve that goal, India shall explore indigenous deposits of Phosphatic rock and Potash and make it available to indigenous industries.
- Rock Phosphate is the key raw material for DAP and NPK fertilizers.
- Currently, India is 90% dependent on imports for this raw material.
- Volatility in international prices affects domestic prices of fertilizers.
- Import dependence also hinders the progress and development of the agriculture sector in the country and puts extra pressure on our farmers.
News Source: PIB