Kandla becomes first Green SEZ
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Economy
In news Kandla, Gujarat has become the first Green SEZ.
- It has Achieved CII’s IGBC ( Indian Green Building Council) Green Cities Platinum Rating.
What is Indian Green Building Council?
- The Indian Green Building Council (IGBC), part of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) was formed in the year 2001.
- Vision: “To enable a sustainable built environment for all and facilitate India to be one of the global leaders in the sustainable built environment by 2025”.
- The council offers a wide array of services such as developing new green building rating programmes, certification services and green building training programmes.
- The council also organises Green Building Congress, its annual flagship event on green buildings.
- The council is committee-based, member-driven and consensus-focused.
- All the stakeholders of the construction industry participate in the council activities through local chapters.
- The council also closely works with several State Governments, Central Government, World Green Building Council, bilateral multi-lateral agencies in promoting green building concepts in the country.