First-of-its-kind “Centre of Excellence” in the Northeast
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Policies and interventions
In news The Ministry of Science & Technology is to set up a first-of-its-kind “Centre of Excellence” in the Northeast.
- The project for establishing “Centre for Bio-Resources and Sustainable Development as a Centre of Excellence” was sanctioned by the Department of Biotechnology and is complete for formal inauguration shortly.
- It is located in Arunachal Pradesh
About Centre of Excellence in North East
- With the setting up of the Bio-Resource Centre by the Department of Biotechnology Ministry of Science & Technology, the entire North Eastern Region will be able to use its fruit and organic food potential to the maximum extent.
- Besides, this will also help in exploring many vast areas and to find hitherto lesser known or unknown new species including diverse habitats and diverse flora.
- This will have a bearing on improving the cultural, social and economic status of the people of the entire North Eastern Region.
- The central government has also called for utilising latest technology for infrastructural development and value addition to the ongoing projects. The proposed Centre of Excellence is aimed to address this objective.
- Besides, many projects have been undertaken recently through optimum utilisation of technologies, including the Space Technology and Satellite Imaging.
- There is also in place a mechanism to speed up the process of sanctioning projects through e-Office and other electronic means.
News Source: PIB