Not-for-Profit Hospital Model Study: NITI Aayog
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Health
- Recently, the NITI Aayog released a comprehensive study on the Not-for-Profit Hospital Model in the country.
- Most of the not-for-profit hospitals charge lower than the for profit hospitals.
- Most of the Not-for-profit Hospitals are empaneled with State or Central Government Healthcare schemes.
- They use various levers, such as multitasking of workforce, In-house manufacturing of equipment, to facilitate their low cost of clinical care.
- They have lower operating costs as compared to For-Profit Hospitals.
- There is a strong focus on quality care
- Most of the hospitals find it difficult to recruit and retain doctors and staff.
- Delayed reimbursements and long-pending amounts
- External funding in the form of philanthropy and grants
About Not-for-profit hospitals
- Not-for-profit does not make profits for its owners from the funds collected for patient services.
- The owners of these hospitals are often charitable organizations or non-profit corporations.
- These hospitals are a potential remedy to the challenges of unavailability and unaffordability of healthcare in India.
Recent Initiatives in Health Sector by India