Steel Scrap Recycling Policy
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Industries
In news The Steel Scrap Recycling Policy provides a framework to facilitate and promote establishment of metal scrapping centers in India for scientific processing & recycling of ferrous scrap generated from various sources.
What are the features of the Policy?
- The policy framework provides standard guidelines for collection, dismantling and shredding activities in an organized, safe and environmentally sound manner.
- It enumerates responsibilities for setting up collection, dismantling centre and scrap processing centre, and the roles of aggregators and responsibilities of the Government, manufacturer and owner.
- It does not envisage setting up of scrap centres by the Government.
- The role of Government is to be an enabler and provide a framework to facilitate the eco-system of metal scrapping in the country.
- The decision to set up scrap centres is of entrepreneurs based on commercial considerations.
- The Scrapping Centres are approved and monitored by the authorized agencies of the State/Union Territory Governments.
- The Policy does not envisage any additional monitoring mechanism thereby ensuring that there is no additional compliance burden.
News Source: PIB