Dalit Bandhu Scheme
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Policies and interventions and GS-III – Entrepreneurship
In news The programme will be launched on a pilot basis in Huzurabad, Telangana on August 16.
What is Dalit Bandhu Scheme?
- Dalit Bandhu is the latest flagship programme of the Telangana government.
- It is envisioned as a welfare scheme for empowering Dalit families.
- The scheme shall enable entrepreneurship among Dalits through a direct benefit transfer of Rs 10 lakh per family who have no bank guarantee to start their businesses.
- Telangana CM Stated that “The financial assistance given by the government through Dalit Bandhu is free. This is not a loan. There is no need to repay it. There is no chance of any middlemen in this. Eligible beneficiaries will get the assistance in their bank accounts”.
- Apart from monetary assistance, the government plans to create a corpus called the Dalit Security Fund permanently to support the beneficiary in the event of any adversities.
- This fund will be managed by the district collector concerned, along with a committee of beneficiaries.
- A minimum amount will be deposited by the beneficiary towards this fund.
- The beneficiary would be issued an identity card with an electronic chip, which will help the government monitor the progress of the scheme.
- Once implemented on the ground, this is going to be the biggest cash transfer scheme in the country.
- The funds allocated for the scheme would be over and above the funds earmarked for the SC Sub Plan.
- The state government will also pursue the scheme with the Centre for nationwide implementation.
News Source: TH