C-295 aircraft deal
Part of: Prelims and GS – III – Defence and Security
Context The Cabinet Committee on Security approved the procurement of 56 C-295 MW transport aircraft from M/s Airbus Defence and Space S.A., Spain, giving a big boost to the Indian Air Force.
- This is the first project of its kind in which a military aircraft will be manufactured in India under technology transfer by a private company and is expected to cost close to $3billion.
- The C-295MW transport aircraft is a transport carrier that has a 5-10 tonne capacity with a rear ramp door for quick reaction and para-dropping of troops and cargo.
- The transport aircraft will gradually replace the ageing Avro fleet of the IAF. The IAF has 56 Avros procured in the 1960s and they are in urgent need of replacement.
- All 56 aircraft will be installed with indigenous Electronic Warfare Suite.
- The project will give a boost to the aerospace ecosystem in India wherein several MSMEs spread over the country will be involved in manufacturing of parts of the aircraft.
- The programme is in line with the “Atmanirbhar Bharat” and will augment domestic aviation manufacturing resulting in reduced import dependence and expected increase in exports.
- The programme will also lead to employment generation in the aerospace ecosystem
News source: TH