UN World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) award
Part of: Prelims and GS – II – International Relations and GS III – Tourism; Economy
Context Ladhpura Khas, a village in Madhya Pradesh’s Niwari district, has been nominated by The Union Ministry of Tourism in the ‘Best Tourism Village’ category for the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Award.
- Ladhpura Khas village is located near tourist town Orchha.
About the ‘Rural Tourism Project’
- The ‘Rural Tourism Project’ has been started in villages across Madhya Pradesh, including in Ladhpura Khas.
- Objective: Giving shape to the concept of village tourism by adding new dimensions.
- In the next five years, 100 villages will be developed from the point of view of rural tourism.
- Among these, suitable sites will be selected and developed around tourist places, including Orchha, Khajuraho, Mandu, Sanchi, Pachmarhi, Tamia, Panna National Park, Bandhavgarh National Park, Sanjay Dubri National Park, Pench and Kanha National Park.
- MP Tourism Board is also providing training to develop tourism-related products with community participation
- Significance: Rural tourism shall provide an opportunity to local people to learn about the interests and needs of tourists while maintaining the importance of local culture and tradition.
- The local community will directly benefit from the development of tourism in their area through job creation.
What is the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO)?
- United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) is the United Nations specialized agency entrusted with the promotion of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism, having
- Its headquarters is in Madrid, Spain.
- It encourages the implementation of the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism to maximize the contribution of tourism to socio-economic development, while minimizing its possible negative impacts.