Part of: Prelims and GS-III – Skill development; employment
Context Union Minister for Minority Affairs announced that “Vishwakarma Vatika” will be set up at “Hunar Haats”.
- Objective: to promote and preserve precious traditional skills of artisans and craftsmen
- The first such “Vishwakarma Vatika”, which has been set up in “Hunar Haat” at Rampur, Uttar Pradesh will be inaugurated by Union Minister for Education and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship on 16th October, 2021
- Proficient craftsmen, sculptors, stonemasons, blacksmiths, carpenters, potter and other artisans from across the country, will give live demonstrations of how India’s traditional exquisite and elegant indigenous handmade products are made.
What is Hunar Haat?
- Hunar Haat is an exhibition of handicrafts and traditional products made by artisans from the Minority communities.
- It is organized by the Ministry of Minority Affairs.
- Hunar Haat is organized under USTTADscheme (Upgrading the Skills and Training in Traditional Arts/Crafts for Development).
- The artisans who participate in the event will get national and international markets for their indigenous handmade products through “Hunar Haat”.
- It has proved to be Empowerment & Employment Exchange for master artisans and craftsmen
- Government has decided to organise about 100 “Hunar Haat” in the next five years across the country to provide market and employment opportunities