Part of: Prelims and GS-II -Health
Context: The government has confirmed in the Supreme Court that Aadhaar is not mandatory for registration on the CoWIN portal for COVID-19 vaccination.
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare informed that one of the nine identity documents, including passport, driving licence, PAN card, voter ID card, ration card, can be produced for vaccination.
What is CoWIN?
- CoWIN (Covid Vaccine Intelligence Work) is the Indian government’s web portal to register for COVID-19 vaccination. It displays slots of COVID-19 vaccine available in the nearby areas and can be booked on the website.
- It is a secure and trustworthy proof where people establish when, where and by whom they had been vaccinated.
- In totality, CoWIN is a cloud-based IT solution for planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of Covid-19 vaccination in India.
- This allows the system to monitor the utilisation, wastage, coverage of Covid-19 vaccination at national, state, district and sub-district level.
- CoWIN system tracks on a real time basis the vaccination drive in India.
- The portal also provides vaccination certificates in digital format
- CoWIN is essentially an extension of eVIN (Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network).
News Source: TH