Launch of Operation AAHT
Part of: Prelims and GS-I Social Issues
Context: The Railway Protection Force(RPF) has launched a nationwide operation to curb human trafficking.
- As part of “Operation AAHT”, special teams will be deployed on all long-distance trains/routes with focus on rescuing victims, particularly women and children, from the clutches of traffickers.
- The Railways is the most reliable mode of transportation for the traffickers who often move their victims on long-distance trains.
- As part of “Operation AAHT”, the infrastructure and intelligence network of the force could be utilised to collect, collate and analyse clues on victims, source, route, etc and shared with other law-enforcing agencies.
- The RPF would act as a bridge cutting across States to assist the local police in the mission to curb the menace.
About Railway Protection Force
- Protection Force is a security force, established by the Railway Protection Force Act, 1957, for “the better protection and security of railway property and passenger area”.
- It has the power to search, arrest, investigate, and prosecute offenses committed under Railway Property (Unlawful Possession) Act 1966
- The force is under the authority of the Indian Ministry of Railways.
News Source: TH