In News: The global attention on the war in Ukraine has remained nervously focused on Zaporizhzhia, an important town in the country’s southeast that houses the largest nuclear power plant in Europe.
- A team of officials from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) arrived in Ukraine to assess the condition of the plant,
About: Zaporizhzhia power plant
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- Widely known as the world’s “Atoms for Peace and Development” organization within the United Nations family, the IAEA is the international centre for cooperation in the nuclear field.
- The IAEA was created in 1957 in response to the deep fears and expectations generated by the discoveries and diverse uses of nuclear technology.
- Headquarter: Vienna, Austria.
Objectives and Functions
- The Agency works with its Member States and multiple partners worldwide to promote safe, secure and peaceful use of nuclear technologies.
- IAEA seeks to promote the peaceful use of nuclear energy and to inhibit its use for any military purpose, including nuclear weapons.
- It reports annually to the United Nation General Assembly.
- When necessary, the IAEA also reports to the UN Security Council in regards to instances of members’ non-compliance with safeguards and security obligations.
- In 2005, it was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for their work for a safe and peaceful world.
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Question
Q.1) In the Indian context, what is the implication of ratifying the ‘Additional Protocol’ with the ‘International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)’? (2018)
- The civilian nuclear reactors come under IAEA safeguards.
- The military nuclear installations come under the inspection of IAEA.
- The country will have the privilege to buy uranium from the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG).
- The country automatically becomes a member of the NSG.
Q.2) In India, why are some nuclear reactors kept under “IAEA Safeguards” while others are not? (2020)
- Some use Uranium and others use thorium.
- Some use imported uranium and others use domestic supplies.
- Some are operated by foreign enterprises and others are operated by domestic enterprises.
- Some are State- owned and others are privately-owned.