Context: Recently government has notified Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN (Jaiv Indhan – Vatavaran Anukool fasal awashesh Nivaran) Yojana for promoting Second Generation (2G) ethanol production from cellulosic and lignocellulosic biomass including petrochemical route in the country by providing financial support for setting up 2G ethanol bio-refineries.
- Oil CPSEs are setting up 2G ethanol bio-refineries in the country at Panipat (Haryana), Bathinda (Punjab), Numaligarh (Assam), Bargarh (Odisha) and one demonstration project at Panipat.
- Bio-refinery at Panipat has been dedicated to the nation.
About the Scheme:
- It aims to provide financial support to Integrated Bioethanol Projects using lignocellulosic biomass and other renewable feedstock.
- Establish commercially viable projects for 2G Ethanol production.
- Provide remunerative income to farmers for their otherwise waste agriculture residues.
- Address concerns of environmental pollution caused by burning of biomass/ agriculture residues.
- Help in meeting the targets envisaged in Ethanol Blended Petrol (EBP) programme promoted by Government of India and the vision of 10% reduction in import dependence by way of reducing the use of fossil fuels.
- To create rural and urban employment opportunities.
- To contribute to Swaccha Bharat Mission by supporting the aggregation of non-food biofuel feedstocks such as waste biomass and urban waste.
- Centre for High Technology (CHT), a technical body under the aegis of Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MoP&NG), will be the implementation Agency for the scheme.
MUST READ: Ethanol blending